Ms. Fountain has over 30 years of experience in the business profession, which includes public and industry accounting and over 20 years within internal and external auditing combined. She has held CAE roles in two international companies where she has developed strategic risk based audit processes facilitated strong relation Read more
This course is the first in a series on the Topic 606 revenue recognition standard. The standard outlines five steps for proper compliance. At the surface, these steps seem simplistic. However, there are many considerations that should be considered within each step based on your process and industry.
This course is designed to provide an overview of the technical guidance and outline the five steps involved in the revenue recognition model. We also explore some concepts to consider within each step and then evaluate some challenges that specific industries may have when complying with the standard.
On May 28, 2014, the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) completed its Revenue Recognition project. It issued Accounting Standards Update No. 2014-09, Revenue from Contracts with Customers (Topic 606). The guidance establishes principles to report useful information to users of financial statements about the nature, timing, and uncertainty of revenue from contracts with customers.
The standard affects all entities (public, private, and not-for-profit) that have contracts with customers. Exclusions include:
• Leases accounted for under FASB Accounting Standards Codification (ASC) 840, Leases;
• Insurance contracts accounted for under FASB ASC 944, Financial Services—Insurance;
• Most financial instruments, and guarantees (other than product or service warranties).
Transaction and industry specific revenue recognition guidance is eliminated. It is replaced with a principle based approach for determining revenue recognition. The new standard requires significantly more disclosure than previous generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
• Identify the effective dates for the new revenue recognition standard.
• Explore the need for the new revenue recognition standard.
• Explore the new revenue recognition core principles and the five-step revenue model.
• Identify the impact of the new revenue recognition standard on various revenue concepts.
• Explore the impact of the revenue recognition standard on various industries.
What You Get:
• Training Materials
• Live Q&A Session with our Expert
• Participation Certificate
• Access to Signup Community (Optional)
• Reward Points
Who Will Benefit:
• Accounting Managers and Supervisors
• Contracts Department
• Compliance Department
• Business Owners
• Company Board Members
• Anyone who wishes to enhance their knowledge of the new rule
Recorded Link and Reference material will be available in My Account Section, 48 hrs after completion of training
Training CD-DVD will be dispatched after 72 hrs on completion of training + Complimentary access to the live webinar