Donna K Olheiser, AAP, is the vice president of Education Services and founder of Dynamic Mastership, LLC. She is an enthusiastic and energetic Certified Master Trainer with over 14 years’ training experience. She has designed and facilitated over 100 training sessions each year with her exp Read more
To ensure compliance with the NACHA Operating Rules, the RDFI must be aware of the options when returning unauthorized Returns and the ODFI aware of the different Return Reason Codes and what they mean.
In this 90-minute session, the trainer will cover all the recently approved changes and details for returning an unauthorized transaction, that may be authorized but something may just not “be right” with the entry itself (date different/dollar amount different, including the details on the newly repurposed R11 Return Reason Code.
Differentiating between the specific reasons for sending an unauthorized Entry (using R10 or R11) is crucial when sending the right message back to the Originating company to help them further identify the specifics of “why” the Entry is being returned.
Identifying the details and how this additional unauthorized return reason code will require monitoring by the ODFI to comply with their reporting requirements (as defined by NACHA) during a phased approach beginning as early as April 2020 and going into 2021, will be covered.
The trainer will use scenario-based examples to make these Rules changes easy to understand and apply to the daily ACH operations tasks.
Unauthorized Returns can be confusing and time consuming. As an RDFI you have a right to Returns and when your account holder requests an Entry to be returned because it is unauthorized, are you up to date on the Rules? When sending unauthorized Returns, it is crucial to be in compliance with the NACHA Operating Rules. This session will provide the details on recent changes to the unauthorized return process.
When returning an Unauthorized Entry, there are now options based on the explicit reason for the unauthorized Return (Do you use R10 – the usual or should you use R11 – the newly “repurposed” Return Reason Code)? Included will be details for when an RDFI may be returning a questionable item (R17) will be covered.
• Identify what an unauthorized transaction is and how this helps you when returning unauthorized transactions.
• List the steps to the entire ACH Return Process – defining each step to remain in compliance with the NACHA Operating Rules
• List the options for unauthorized ACH Return Reason Codes (R10 & R11)
• Details on the most recent change to specifying the details of an unauthorized return by adding R11 to further define the “why”
• Outline the specifics when returning unauthorized ACH Entries regarding timing and details on any paperwork needed.
• Describe the impact to the ODFI Reporting Requirements for R11 going forward during a phased approach in 2020 and 2021
What You Get:
• Training Materials
• Live Q&A Session with our Expert
• Participation Certificate
• Access to Signup Community (Optional)
• Reward Points
Who Will Benefit:
• Financial Institution Professionals (New/Current Operations Staff)
• Banking Operations Managers and Staff
• Compliance and Risk Professionals
• Treasury Management Professionals
• Aspiring and Current AAPs (Accredited ACH Professionals)
• Company / Business Owners (Originators)
• Banking Managers/ Supervisors
• Third-Party Service Providers and Third-Party Senders
• Audit and Compliance Personnel / Risk Managers